We are not your average "senior center" - We are fortunate to have a lovely, historic building, creative, hardworking staff, energetic and focused board members, and independent, contributing older adults who attend the center.

      The original Rutherford House mansion was built in 1858. The Rutherford Family sold the enormous mansion to Dauphin County in 1920 for about $20,000. The mansion became the county's new juvenile detention center for troubled youth.

      Eventually, the original "Capital City Late Start" senior program changed its name to "Capital Area Late Start, Inc." and since 1978, when the senior group moved into the Rutherford family mansion, it also became known as "The Rutherford House."     In 1984/1985, an addition was added to the original building. Funding came by way of grants and private donations. The addition consists of two offices, two lavatories, a lobby and an auditorium with a stage and serving kitchen. This is now a part of the constantly improving and growing Rutherford House frequently used today.

Rutherford House History
Rutherford Center History